There rarely is a week that goes by in which we do not fix several computers either running outdated anti-virus software or none at all. Also occasionally, we find a computer with two or more anti-virus applications running at the same time. These computers are not properly protected and as are likely to be infected with a virus or malware; thus causing the customer to schedule virus or malware removal services. We appreciate the business and do enjoy performing the virus and malware removal service (Sounds crazy right?). We would prefer our customer’s computers to be properly protected in the first place. So…what should YOU do?
Here are 5 tips for you to better protect your computer from viruses
- Have a good anti-virus application on your computer. We don’t recommend any of the free ones today, but they are better than nothing.
- Setup your anti-virus/virus removal application to proactively monitor your computer to prevent infections from getting through in the first place.
- Make sure your anti-virus application is updating virus definitions daily. You want it to know what the latest and greatest virus and malware infections are, so it can stop them from getting on your computer.
- Do NOT run more than one anti-virus application. Contrary to what some may believe, running multiple anti-viruses or anti-malware applications is not good. What ultimately happens is they essentially fight with each other, thinking the other is a virus.
- Keep good backups of your files. Having good backups will make recovery easier especially if you encounter some of the new data hijacking malware.
Now, what anti-virus is the best? It comes down to personal choice and budget. The two leaders are McAfee or Norton, followed by Kaspersky, Trend and many more. Comcast and Century Link provide Norton to their customers for free. We recommend Kaspersky because it uses fewer resources than McAfee or Norton. Microsoft Security Essentials (provided by Microsoft) is OK as the bare-bones protection however it doesn’t do as good a job protecting you from malware.
As always, if you have any questions or concerns or if you believe you have a virus or malware infection, please do not hesitate to the Greeneville Virus Removal experts at Blazedog. We can schedule you for virus/malware removal service and have your computer running like new again.